Author Topic: Moving from Philadelphia pa  (Read 1598 times)

Nvalentin0219

Moving from Philadelphia pa
« on: September 10, 2015, 01:46:32 PM »
Me, my husband, and my 2 children (ages 10 and 6 months) are moving to Camuy on September 28. I have tried to do research on the area to see what it will be like to live in that area but I cannot seem to find any info on it! I am very nervous about this and also having some second thoughts after reading about all of the higher prices. My son does not know any Spanish and he is very nervous about going to school and only speaking English. Do the public schools have some type of classes for children who do not know Spanish?

irmas

Re: Moving from Philadelphia pa
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 01:57:41 AM »
Hi

I am not yet living in PR but will be moving soon with husband and two children (10 and 8).  The kids have the same concerns as do I b/c they speak English and understand some Spanish (husband and I both speak Spanish).  The private schools seem to be predominantly English dominant except for history of PR and PE (gym).  We have visited several schools in Isabela and Aguadilla - not too far from Camuy.  My favorites are Inter-american and Froebel.  If I can land a job with Fed. govt - I can only hope that the kids can attend their military school -  Ramey School.  We have had family whose children attended there and they loved it!.  We also have family who sent their daughter strictly to private school - has never left the island (except short 2 week visits to US)  and she can communicate almost perfectly in English.  The kids speak to her exclusively in English!

The private schools here can be comparable to the states - take your time and visit different schools.  The most important thing is that the family is together and with the parent's help, the kids will do just fine.  Good luck!

NewToPuertoRico

• Administrator
    • NewToPuertoRico.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »
Hello!

Well, I don't think the local public schools have something for learning Spanish as a second language. However, I would think that the teachers would make adjustments for your children if they have to, I can tell you that your kids will be fine, they will slowly pick it up.

I would like to encourage you to immerse your children in Spanish. Private schools are great, and I am actually very familiar with Ramey and Ft. Buchanan schools and know what they offer. But please, trust me on this, DO NOT limit your child to an English school because you're afraid of how hard it will be to learn. I see it over and over again and it is truly a shame to see kids only in English when they have here in PR with a prime opportunity to be fluent in both Spanish and English.

Expect it to be difficult at first, prepare for frustration and resistance, but please please please, trust me on this, immerse your children in Spanish even if it's hard the first year. Being bilingual en English and Spanish is HUGE here, in the US and all over America (when I say America I mean all of America not just the US) and of course Spain and the UK in Europe.

Expect pain while learning a new language, but don't let that stop you. They will learn, and they will be better for it.

Best of luck.

tolonaro

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »
As one who grew up abroad, I repeat the plea of our webmaster.  Please use this opportunity to learn a second language.  My parents did not use our opportunity well, and I have regretted it ever since.