Author Topic: Stopping by to say hello  (Read 1566 times)

Oliver

Stopping by to say hello
« on: June 13, 2015, 05:05:32 AM »
Hi everyone!

I just got a job teaching English as a Second Language online. Finally, I have the freedom to move anywhere and remain employed! That's how I found this really fantastic site (Thanks, Jay, for all the great information!). I was looking for Internet provider info to make sure the speed and reliability are good enough that I can still do my job.

My dream is to teach ESL at a college/university in the afternoons and do my current ESL job in the evenings. After I say hello here, I'll be heading over to the job search section of this forum and see what's there. I can't move until I get a job in PR, so there's that.

Still, I desperately want to move. I HATE snow. More accurately, I hate shoveling snow, I hate ice, and I can't stand the cold. Two more-brutal-than-usual winters in a row have convinced me that my sanity and health depend on a warmer climate and a whole lot more sun. Does it get any better than PR? I think not.

I've never been to PR and I don't care that I would move there with no prior knowledge or experience other than what I've gleaned from the Internet plus Elementary-level Spanish skills. I moved to China with less and did just fine.

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say hello and thank Jay for the great information; and I'll definitely be back because I'm desperately trying to get to PR before winter settles in again and tries to kill me. This website, and quite likely this forum, will keep me going as I dream of wintertime sun and heat, with some beach time thrown in for good measure.

NewToPuertoRico

• Administrator
    • NewToPuertoRico.com
Re: Stopping by to say hello
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:58:55 PM »
Hello Oliver!

Thank you so much for the nice words! I'm so glad this site has been useful for you!

In terms of weather, it is very difficult to have it better than here, that's if you like warm weather. Quite honestly I moved away from the snow myself and I truly enjoy being outside. So it must be warm. I just came back from walking on some trails and I was in between lots of trees and it was nice and warm with a light breeze, just amazing!

The forum is a work in progress! It is very new, but I hope that slowly it will become more and more popular so we can help each other out!

As an ESL teacher you can apply at schools that are bilingual, some that come into mind are Robinson School in San Juan, St. John in San Juan, and Piaget in Manati.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:46:14 AM by NewToPuertoRico »

Oliver

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:03:39 PM »
Thanks so much for the leads! I'll investigate them right away.
I'm sitting at my desk half enjoying the warmth of the day and half wishing I had air conditioning, and completely unable to enjoy it because I'm fretting about the colder temperatures coming in three months, with winter close on its heels. Just this morning as I was trying to pry myself out of bed I lay there wondering how early I was going to have to get up in order to get the snow shoveled before I have to be at work. Pathetic, right? Can't even enjoy summer because I'm dreading winter so much. All while dreaming of PR. I'll get there, just maybe not before fall, which is when I'd like to get there. All the more reason to check out those job leads you gave me.

NewToPuertoRico

• Administrator
    • NewToPuertoRico.com
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 11:50:56 AM »
Yes I totally understand!

Now keep in mind that there are also some small colleges around that you can apply for. There are also schools/institutes that are specific to teaching English as a second language.

Check out PanAmericanLanguage.com they specialize on teaching English as a second language.

Good Luck!!!